Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Going to Jeju Island--please pray!

Hiking shoes? Check. Swimsuit? check. Bible? check. Electronic dictionary? Check. (Extra batteries? check!) I think I'm all ready to go...

This week our whole church will be going to Jeju Island, an island off the south coast of Korea, for a community life retreat. We've all been praying about it for many weeks, so I have faith God will bless our time, but there are still a few things I'd appreciate prayers for.

For me, please pray that God would provide some moments of joyful solitude and joyful companionship. I'm kind of nervous about being immersed in Korean conversations 24/7, eating Korean food 3 times a day (rice for breakfast?!), and in general not having time to myself to re-energize as introverts do. Participating in meetings, services, and community-building activities in a foreign language is taxing both mentally and emotionally, even after 3 years. (But usually I have my room to retreat to afterwards, and for this week I won't.)

For the church in general, please pray for the Holy Spirit to guide our interactions and the pastor's sermons, give us courage to be authentic, and make us into a true community. Please pray for God to provide for each one's financial needs, as this trip is a burden to many in our church. Pray also for those who cannot go, that God would draw near to them and unite us in Spirit.

The theme for this summer's retreat is "A Church Trained in the Wilderness," from the book of Numbers when the Israelites are trained for forty years in the desert. I look forward to sharing what I learn, as I think this truth is so encouraging when we're going through hard times and can't see a purpose for it. Check back next week, and thanks for praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment