Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

40 Days Facebook-Free

Hi there,

Thanks for stopping by. As you've probably seen on your newsfeed, I'm going "cold turkey" with my facebook habit, de-activating my account until Easter Sunday. Since my sophomore year of college, when I first got a facebook account, I've never been without it for more than a week at a time. I'm honestly curious about how the human psyche can survive without it. ;-) So this is a bit of an experiment, one many people do at this time of year, but the first time for me.

I wonder...

How will I keep in touch with people? Will they remember I exist?

Will I go crazy without a place to share my two cents day and night?

Can I survive without a steady stream of affirmation and attention and 'likes'?

How will I share my life with people far away?

Does posting pictures legitimize an experience for me? or do I find satisfaction in the experience itself?

How will I fill time on the subway? in ten-minute breaks between classes?

What will I do first thing in the morning? last thing before bed?


Without facebook, I'll have a lot more time to read and think and, hopefully, more valuable reflections to share. I expect I'll find God satisfying me and teaching me new and wonderful things about my identity in Him and the sufficiency of His Grace.

I won't be posting links to new blog updates on facebook, because I'm really kinda curious -- what will happen in the absence of self-promotion? So if ever you get  curious, you can stop by this site directly to see if I've posted anything.

And please, dear reader, if I go a week without posting, send someone over to make sure I'm alive and well. After all, if I'm unsure I can mentally handle 40 days without facebook, I'm even more dubious my body can survive that long without McDonald's. ;-)

But now I'm rambling...

Good night, and prayers for a meaningful Lent.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment