Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Dandelion Community

Yesterday I went with a group from our church to visit the Dandelion Community. The Dandelion Community is located 4 1/2 hours south of here, in the middle of the Gyeongnam province countryside. I got a little homesick on the way there, seeing all the mountains wrapped in warm fall shades, fields ready for harvest, and orchards heavyladen with fruit. In one stretch of highway, I was back in the foothills of North Carolina, then watching combines scoop up corn and beans, and even back at Grandma and Grandpa's old house, riding Polly through the apple orchard. Never mind that yesterday's fields were full of rice and the orchards bursting with persimmons. Anyway, I was pretty excited to visit another Christian community for the first time, but the trip fell short of my expectations. I couldn't get a feel for their daily life or understand a word of the looong briefing we received. To be honest, my excitement to get home last night rivaled the last day of the school backpacking trip. But at least I've seen it now. Next I need to visit a community closer to home in Seoul!

Dandelion Community's rice fields


Just look at all those beautiful persimmons!


According to their website, the philosophy of the Dandelion Community is modeled after the leaves, roots, and seeds of a dandelion. The leaves represent a simple lifestyle that is "third-world-friendly." The roots represent thinking, acting, and relating deeply, especially with "God and people in daily life." The seeds blown by the wind represent the community people directed by the Holy Spirit to go and help the poor wherever the Holy Spirit leads them.

About thirty people live and work together at the Dandelion Community. They focus largely on organic farming and sustainable living, especially in terms of alternative energy. Windmills and solar panels, which they have made themselves (and teach others how to make in workshops here and in third world countries), can be seen as an active energy source next to many of their buildings. They use alternative energy as a mode for spreading the Gospel, as they visit very poor communities and teach them how to make use of intermediate technology. Their goal is to be self-sufficient in terms of food, clothing, and shelter, and they operate a middle and high school where boarding students from outside the community can also learn these skills.

Roughly 17% of their energy is derived from solar power.


Not sure what this building is... hopefully not sleeping quarters! ;)

Middle school dormitory on the left, school building on the right. I love the flowers growing on the roof!

Middle school boys standing shyly in front of a classroom.
You can learn a lot about Dandelion Community's vision, lifestyle, and unique programs by visiting their website. I admire their dedication to environmentalism, healthy living, and Christian community, but I didn't feel any call to move there. I guess Sarangbang can keep me for another year.

Rows and rows of peppers

Our church's head cook marveling over the size of these cabbages--twice the size of ours up north!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,

    I really enjoyed reading this. Not just this blog about 민들레 but I've read others too. That is really neat that you could visit down south. You talked about being homesick. Seeing the pictures you took made me homesick too; homesick for the golden rice fields, the students, and everyone I lived with. I really enjoy this time of year; the golden rice contrasting with the green and changing colors of the hills.

    I can see what you mean about not getting a feel for daily life. There are a lot of groups that come and visit and so there's the tour that most people get. But it might be hard to know how life is through it.

    I can explain the building with 3 strange things on it though. The 3 things are called Sheffler Reflectors and they have lots of mirrors that focus sunlight on one spot throughout the day. Usually they are used for cooking, just putting the put where the sunlight is focused (it does get really hot). But here, they are hooked up in a steam generating system. They heat water and then the steam is pressurized and sent into the house. I think there its used to help with the heating of the house. Its modeled off a system in India where the Reflectors are 2-3 timesthis size (2.8 m^2 vs. 8 or 10 m^2) and there's like 80 or so on a roof. There the steam is used to cook for like 20-25 thousand people/day.

    Actually, this was just an idea when I was there and we were working at constructing the building. This is the first time I've seen a photo of it finished. It is kind of neat though; I'm pretty sure that I helped construct at least 2 of the 3 reflectors. I spent many an afternoon in the shop bending and constructing the pieces and helping to put them together. I wonder now how its been working. . .

    Sorry if that was more than you bargained for. I pray the Lord continues to bless you in everything there. Keep having fun and learning. And I'll continue to enjoy reading about your adventures and musings. :)

    Nathan

    ReplyDelete